Russian Police Officers Charged With Assaulting Elderly Man in Ural Mountain City

By David Sophrin
Impunity Watch Reporter, Europe

YEKATERINBURG, Russia – An elderly man in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg was allegedly attacked and robbed by local police officers after being unable to produce identification.

Sergei Beloglazov, 62, was returning to his home from a supermarket when he was stopped by a police officer.  The officer demanded identification from Beloglazov.  When Beloglazov informed the officer that he did not have identification with him, the policeman proceeded to push Beloglazov to the ground and kicked him repeatedly.  He was then placed under arrest and placed in jail.  Russian citizens are required by law to have their identification papers on them at all times.

Russian pianist Sergei Beloglazov
Russian pianist Sergei Beloglazov

The story of Beloglazov’s attack was made public after the story was reported by a blogger on a social-networking website.  The day after the assault Beloglazov, who is a classical pianist and professor at Ural State University, filed a complaint with the local prosecutor Yury Ponomarev.  In the aftermath of the story breaking nationally, local police authorities promised to investigate the attack.  Ponomarev has assured the public that “if the police officers are guilty, the head of the Interior Ministry administration will sign an order for the police officers to be called to disciplinary account.”  As a result of the attack, Beloglazov has lost movement in his hands.

The police officers allegedly involved in the attack have been charged with exceeding their official authority through the use of violence, a charge punishable by up to ten years in prison.

The attack on Beloglazov marks that latest in a string of police brutality incidents in Russia within the last year.  Moscow police officer Denis Yevsyukov, who had been drinking while working, shot and killed three people in a city supermarket this past spring.  This most recent attack has inflamed public outcry on the issues of police brutality and corruption in local and national police forces.

For more information, please see:

RADIO FREE EUROPE – Controversy Brewing Over Police Beating Of Elderly Russian Pianist – 11 February 2010

BBC – Russia probes ‘police beating’ of pianist – 10 February 2010

THE OTHER RUSSIA – Charges Filed Against Police for Beating Composer – 10 February 2010

NEWS 24 – Cop beating of pianist probed – 10 February 2010

Yemen Announces Truce With Rebels

By Ahmad Shihadah
Impunity Watch Reporter, Middle East

SA’NA, Yemen – Yemen’s president said Thursday the military will halt operations against northern rebels after reaching a cease-fire agreement that ends the country’s six-year conflict.

Ali Abdullah Saleh made the announcement on Thursday after reports that the Yemeni government and the group were close to reaching a deal to end six months of fighting. The truce was made possible after the group, belonging to the Zaidi Shia sect, accepted six conditions put forward by the government for the cessation of hostilities.
Yemen said last week it had handed the fighters a timetable for implementing the ceasefire terms, a week after rejecting a Houthi truce offer because it did not include a promise to end hostilities with neighboring Saudi Arabia.

The kingdom was drawn into the conflict in November when the group seized some Saudi territory, complaining that Riyadh was letting Yemeni troops use its land for attacks against them. Riyadh declared victory last month after the Houthis offered a separate truce and said they had withdrawn from Saudi territory.
The rebels announced a unilateral cease-fire with Saudi Arabia in late January. However, the Saudis responded cautiously to the rebel announcement, and demanded militants pullback from border positions and return five missing soldiers.
The Yemeni announcement comes after the rebels reportedly accepted several conditions, including a pledge not to attack Saudi Arabia, put forward by the government to end the hostilities. Houthi rebels from the minority Shia Zaidi sect based in the North-Western Sa’ada district have been battling the government since 2004.

The UN refugee agency says 250,000 Yemenis have been displaced by fighting in the region.
For information, please see:

Al-Jazeera – Yemen Announces Truce With Houthis – 11 February 2010

Fox News – Yemen Announces Truce With Rebels – 11 February 2010

BBC – Yemen Announces Truce With Northern Rebels – 11 February 2010

AFP – Yemen president declares ceasefire to war with Shiite rebels – 11 February 2010

Review of Fiji’s Human Rights Record is of Utmost Importance

By Cindy Trinh
Impunity Watch Reporter, Oceania

SUVA, Fiji – The Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights says that the scheduled review of Fiji’s human rights record before the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva will be of utmost importance.

Amnesty International accused Fiji of falsifying its human rights record in a report it submitted to the United Nations Human Rights Council. Amnesty International says the Fiji government’s report is full of lies.

Apolosi Bose, spokesman for Amnesty International Pacific, stated that Amnesty International has documented human rights violations from Fiji since 2006.

Amnesty International expressed its strong disappointment with the way in which the government is misrepresenting its human rights record.

Amnesty International contends that Fiji included various things in its report that were not true. One thing is the statement in the report that everyone in Fiji is free to participate in public life.

Another statement allegedly not true is that religious freedom is enjoyed in Fiji. Bose stated that in the last couple months Amnesty International has seen evidence of the government banning the Methodist Church from having its annual conference, and persecution of senior ministers of the church.

Another thing the record included was the statement that Fiji’s judiciary is intact and its independence is intact. Bose stated that the Fiji government has passed decrees which give absolute powers to the register of the High Court, which decides whether or not a case can go before the court, and this decision cannot be challenged by any other courts. Also, in 2009, five magistrates were summarily dismissed without any explanation from the authorities. Bose says that this evidence shows a pattern of judicial interference.

Fiji is scheduled to have its human rights record formally reviewed by the United Nations Human Rights Council at a meeting in Geneva on the night of February 11, 2010.

The review will be based on one report submitted by the interim regime, another by the UN and a third by NGOs.

The Office’s regional representative, Matilda Bogner, says UN member states will discuss Fiji’s human rights situation and will recommend areas for improvement.

Bogner says Fiji’s interim government will then be called on to respond in a couple of months.

Bogner further stated: ” Fiji will have to state publicly which recommendations it commits itself to actually implement. So in that sense it’s also a very important mechanism, because the state does need to publicly commit to making improvements to human rights and then can be held accountable to those commitments in another four years time when it will be reviewed again.”

For more information, please see:
ABC Radio Australia – Amnesty accuses Fiji of lying over human rights record – 11 February 2010

Matavuvale: Fiji’s Family Network – Amnesty accuses Fiji of lying over human rights record – 11 February 2010

Radio New Zealand International – UN assessment of Fiji’s performance on human rights seen as important – 11 February 2010

Sri Lankan Protests Spill into the Streets

By Michael E. Sanchez
Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia

Colombo,Sri Lanka- Government supporters and thousands of activists have clashed in the Sri Lanken capital of Colombo.

Officials said at least eight people were hurt in the violence near the Supreme Court.  Police fired tear gas to disperse the crowds.  The opposition is angry at the arrest of losing presidential candidate, General Sarath Fonseka, on Monday night.  Tensions mounted over his arrest with violent clashed erupting in the capital as his wife approached the country’s highest court for his release, citing that she feared for his safety.

Opposition parties also closed ranks behind the jailed defeated presidential candidate, demanding his release and saying that the authorities were framing him.  As protests against the arrest spilled onto the streets, riot police used tear gas, water cannons and canes to break up thousands of clashing pro-Fonseka supporters and ruling party activists as the government said claimed that the arrest of the country’s former four star general was “not an act of vengeance”

The opposition rally near the Supreme Court is the second demonstration to be held in the capital in the space of a week.  A witness said that about 50 supporters of President Rajapaksa had confronted opposition supporters and attacked them with stones and bottles.

Charles Haviland of the BBC in Colombo says opposition activists retreated and then returned attacking in their turn, whereupon the police used gas to drive people away.

Supporter of Fonseka said “government thugs” had attacked a peaceful protest.  One women stated “they stoned us and attacked with clubs even threw glass bottles at us in front of the police.”

General Fonseka’s wife, Anoma, was previously allowed to visit him in detention at navy headquarters.  Mrs. Fonseka has filed a petition claiming his arrest is illegal.  The claim will be heard on Friday.

The opposition parties have said they fear the General may be killed in detention.  A government spokesman has said there is tangible evidence to back up the allegations against the general, which include the accusation that he worked with politicians against the government while still in the forces.  The general denies these allegations.

Mr. Rajapaksa defeated General Fonseka in the presidential elections last month, but the Fonseka rejected the outcome.  Both claimed credit for the defeat of the Tamil Tigers last year but fell out soon after fighting ended.

For more information, please see:

BBC News- Sri Lanka Clashes Erupt Over Former Army Chief’s Arrest – 10 February 2010

Time.Com- Sri Lankan Protesters Take to the Streets – 10 February 2010

Press Trust of India- Violent Clashes Erupt in Colombo Over Fonseka Arrest – 10 February 2010

Sri Lankan Government Arrests Prominent General

Alok Bhatt
Impunity Watch Reporter,  Asia

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka – The Sri Lankan government recently designed and carried out the arrest of General Sarath Fonseka.  The General was once heralded by the Sri Lankan government as one of the most valuable military players in the civil war against Tamil Tigers opposition group.  General Fonseka served the government as a leader in Sri Lanka’s struggle against the rebel organization; a war that had been plaguing Sri Lanka for over a quarter-century.   However, due to significant political friction between General Fonseka and President Mahinda Rajapaksa, the two fell out with one another and Fonseka lost his revered status among government officials.

Fonseka has been charged with war crimes and conspiring to execute a coup against the current Sri Lankan government.  It has also been alleged that Fonseka maintains and exploits connections with anti-government groups to further promote and realize his apparent designs to overthrow the government.  General Fonseka, however, denies the allegations.

The arrest of General Fonseka has incited protesting and some violence on Sri Lanka streets, as anti-government protestors, angry civilians, and government forces clash with one another.  Political leaders question the motives behind the extra-judicial arrest, and remain apprehensive about the foreseeable maltreatment of General Fonseka.  The leaders of anti-government groups have released statements relating their concern for the life of the General, fearing the possibility of his execution while in custody.

The details of Fonseka’s actual arrest suggest a denial of fundamental legal rights and perpetuate the bad faith in the Sri Lankan government’s dealings.  General Fonseka, having lost the post-war elections to President Rajapaksa, accused the government of fixing the election.  Government forces subsequently stormed the military leader’s campaign office and “dragged” him away, charging the general with various war crimes.

The civil war in Sri Lanka between government forces and the Tamil Tigers left over 7,000 civilians dead and raised myriad other human rights issues.  The government’s treatment of Tamil nationals during the period following the war’s end and up until now remains questionable and has provoked much international pressure.    President Rajapaksa has undertaken the practice of identifying and arresting military personnel whom he believes threaten national security in post-war Sri Lanka.

Held captive by the government, General Fonseka eats only when his wife brings him food during visits.  His fate, in the hands of an unscrupulous Sri Lankan government, remains unclear.

For more information, please see:

Al-Jazeera – Protesters clash in S Lanka Capital – 10 February 2010

BBC – Sri Lankan Gen Sarath Fonseka’s arrest to be challenged – 10 February 2010

Time – Sri Lankan Opposition Leader Arrested – 10 February 2010

The Sri Lankan government recently designed and carried out the arrest of General Sarath Fonseka.  The General was once heralded by the Sri Lankan government as one of the most valuable military players in the civil war against Tamil Tigers opposition group.  General Fonseka served the government as a leader in Sri Lanka’s struggle against the rebel organization; a war that had been plaguing Sri Lanka for over a quarter-century.   However, due to significant political friction between General Fonseka and President Mahinda Rajapaksa, the two fell out with one another and Fonseka lost his revered status among government officials.
Fonseka has been charged with war crimes and conspiring to execute a coup against the current Sri Lankan government.  It has also been alleged that Fonseka maintains and exploits connections with anti-government groups to further promote and realize his apparent designs to overthrow the government.  General Fonseka, however, denies the allegations.
The arrest of General Fonseka has incited protesting and some violence on Sri Lanka streets, as anti-government protestors, angry civilians, and government forces clash with one another.  Political leaders question the motives behind the extra-judicial arrest, and remain apprehensive about the foreseeable maltreatment of General Fonseka.  The leaders of anti-government groups have released statements relating their concern for the life of the General, fearing the possibility of his execution while in custody.
The details of Fonseka’s actual arrest suggest a denial of fundamental legal rights and perpetuate the bad faith in the Sri Lankan government’s dealings.  General Fonseka, having lost the post-war elections to President Rajapaksa, accused the government of fixing the election.  Government forces subsequently stormed the military leader’s campaign office and “dragged” him away, charging the general with various war crimes.
The civil war in Sri Lanka between government forces and the Tamil Tigers left over 7,000 civilians dead and raised myriad other human rights issues.  The government’s treatment of Tamil nationals during the period following the war’s end and up until now remains questionable and has provoked much international pressure.    President Rajapaksa has undertaken the practice of identifying and arresting military personnel whom he believes threaten national security in post-war Sri Lanka.
Held captive by the government, General Fonseka eats only when his wife brings him food during visits.  His fate, in the hands of an unscrupulous Sri Lankan government, remains unclear.