.S. Reviews the Need for Continued Sudan Sanctions

By Jennifer M. Haralambides
Impunity Watch Reporter, Africa

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The United States is reviewing its stance on Sudan sanctions after U.S. envoy, General Scott Gration told law makers that there is no evidence to support keeping Sudan on a list of countries that sponsor terrorism.

The U.S. is reviewing how best to deal with the Sudanese government and the crisis in the nations Darfur region, where roughly 300,000 people were killed and over 2 million were forced into refuge.  As of now, no formal decision has been made on whether to remove Sudan from a list of terrorism-sponsoring countries.

“We have made no decision to lift the listing on the terrorist list of Sudan. As you know, there is a very intensive review going on within the administration concerning our policy toward Sudan, but no decisions have been made,” said Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State.

At a Senate hearing Gration called the terrorism designation “a political decision” and said it is hindering his work.  He believes that lifting the sanctions, which include restrictions on aid, would allow for heavy equipment and for other assistance to flow more easily to the people of Sudan who are still desperately in need.

Committee Chair, Senator John Kerry, appeared to support Gration’s thoughts on Sudan saying that after a visit to Khartoum last April he “came away convinced that we need to build a strategic framework that moves beyond simple oppositions…”

P.J. Crowley, a State Department spokesperson, said there is no split on whether the U.S. is shifting gears towards Sudan, and that although Sudan has improved its counter-terrorism cooperation, the country is on the “list” and will “remain on the list.”

“There’s a set process in law – and where we have been with Sudan, where we are with Sudan, where we want to go with Sudan is all incorporated into this review. And it is ongoing, and we expect this review to be completed.  At that point, I think the President and the Secretary will lay out where we’re going to go with Sudan going forward,” Crowley said.

Although the envoy’s remarks are a persuasive signal that the U.S. is considering a change of heart, the decision would not go without protest.  Advocacy groups and American Christian groups blame the North Sudanese government for the devastating violence and genocide in Darfur.

For more information, please see:

NPR – Does Envoy’s Approach Hint at U.S. Shift on Sudan? – 1 August 2009

Sudan Tribune – Clinton Says Sudan Policy Still Under Review – 1 August 2009

AP – Sudan Pleased With US Envoy’s Remarks on Terrorism – 31 July 2009

CNN Politics – Administration Denies Split on Sudan Policy – 31 July 2009

Reuters – Clinton Says No Decision to Ease Sudan Sanctions – 31 July 2009

Mass Trial for Reformers, Moderates Begins in Iran

By Meredith Lee-Clark
Impunity Watch Reporter, Middle East
 

TEHRAN, Iran – On August 1, over one hundred Iranians were put on trial in what the leading reform party called a “laughable show trial.”

Those on trial were arrested during protests following the disputed June 12 presidential election, in which Mahmoud Ahmadinejad claimed victory over the reformist candidate, Mir Hossein Mousavi. Thousands of Mr. Mousavi’s supporters took to the streets, saying the election had been rigged.

The charges levied against the arrested protestors include vandalism and acting against the national security. State Iranian television showed images of the prisoners, all in blue jumpsuits and surrounded by armed guards, some were shackled. The number of prisoners shocked Iranians, as only a few days prior, the government had said that only twenty people would go on trial. Aside from the state television camera, the courtroom was closed to the press, and lawyers were not allowed in.

The men in the blue jumpsuits included almost every major figure in the Iranian reform movement, and many of them had served in the administration of former President Mohammad Khatami. Muhammad Ali Abtahi, a cleric who served as vice president under Khatami, was among those arrested soon after the June 12 election and had reportedly appeared in a videotape, tearfully confessing to the government charges. Human rights groups and the defendants appearing in court today have said that such videotaped confessions are common practice, and are almost always made under duress.

Shirin Ebadi, an Iranian human rights lawyer and Nobel peace laureate, denounced the trial, and called for European nations to pull their representatives from Tehran. Ms. Ebadi said that she believes reform will come to Iran, but not through foreign influence.

“Reforms only come from within,” Ebadi said. “One day we will realize reform in a real sense.”

For more information, please see:

The Times – Iran’s Arrested Activists Find Champion in Lilac Tweed – 2 August 2009

Al-Jazeera – Iran Puts Protestors on Trial– 1 August 2009

BBC News – Iran Reformers Slate Trial “Sham”– 1 August 2009

Los Angeles Times – Iran: Trials Start for 100 Reformists, Moderate Politicians in Iran– 1 August 2009

New York Times – Mass Trial for Protestors Begins in Iran– 1 August 2009

Nigerian Islamist Radical Group Leader Killed

By Jennifer M. Haralambides
Impunity Watch Reporter, Africa

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria – The leader of the Islamic fundamentalist group Boko Haram,  Mohammed Yusuf, was killed yesterday in a shoot-out with security forces.

“He has been killed.  You can come and see his body at the state police command headquarters,” said Isa Azare, spokesman for the Maiduguri police command.  It was reported that Yusuf’s bullet-riddled body was shown to journalists by police and displayed on state television shortly after his death.

Human rights activists have begun to allege that Yusuf had been executed and warned of revenge attacks, although police say that he died in a shoot-out.

The Nigerian information minister, Dora Akunyili, said that the Nigerian government does not “condone extrajudicial killings,” but then added, “what’s important is that he has been taken out of the way, to stop him [from] using people to cause mayhem.”

Last week during security driven raids, in search of the radical leader, it was rumored that Yusuf had fled town and was heading either to Chad or Cameroon.  However, he was finally taken into custody yesterday afternoon.  The attack resulted in heavy casualties, mostly on the side of the fundamentalists.  Police officials report that he was hiding in a goat pen at his parents-in-law’s house.

Governor Ali Modu Sheriff declared the capture of Yusuf and other remaining members of the sect to be a victory.  He also promised to come up with a bill to regulate religious sermons within the state.  Until such governmental action is implimented, the military will begin what they call “show-of-force” in Borno, Bauchi, Kano, Katsina, and Yobe to assure the civilian population of their preparedness to curtail any activities of the Boko Haram.

The Boko Haram have been in existence as far back as 1995, but have existed under many different names. This radical Islamist sect is commonly referred to as the “Nigerian Taliban.”

Nigeria map (source: Al Jazeera)

Al Jazeera – Nigeria’s Boko Haram Cheif ‘Killed – 31 July 2009

BBC – Nigeria Row Over Militant Killing – 31 July 2009

Reuters – Hundreds of Bodies in Streets After Nigeria Unrest – 31 July 2009

This Day – Boko Haram Leader Killed – 31 July 2009

Times Online – Radical Islamic Leader Mohammed Yusuf Shot Dead By Nigerian Security Forces – 31 July 2009

Impunity Watch – Over 100 Civilians Freed From Captivity in Nigeria – 29 July 2009

Fiji Faces Commonwealth Suspension

By Angela Marie Watkins
Impunity Watch Reporter, Oceania

SUVA, Fiji – Fiji will likely be suspended from the Commonwealth bloc, New Zealand said Wednesday — a day after Fiji’s military ruler strengthened his grip on power by replacing the ailing president with a stronger ally.

Commonwealth ministers will consider this week whether to suspend Fiji from the 53-nation group after the military-led government delayed elections until 2014, rather than 2009 as had earlier been promised. Suspension from the Commonwealth would see Fiji lose access to the body’s $7.5 billion aid budget and further isolate the government.

At its last meeting in March, a Commonwealth committee warned Fiji it would be thrown out unless it made progress toward restoring democracy.

Since then, self-appointed Prime Minister Commodore Frank Bainimarama, who seized power in a December 2006 coup, has rejected international demands to restore civilian government by the end of the year. His ally, President Ratu Josefa Iloilo, in April abrogated the constitution, fired the judiciary, censored the media and reappointed the military government for five years.

Bainimarama announced Tuesday Iloilo will retire on July 30. Vice President Ratu Epeli Nailatikau will serve as acting president until the Cabinet and chief justice decide on a replacement. Observers in Fiji say Iloilo’s replacement by Nailatikau, a former army commander who helped guide Bainimarama’s rise to military power, only underscores the regime’s dominance and could strengthen it.

With no constitution in place, the president has absolute power and rules by decree, but is widely viewed as answering to Bainimarama.

Bainimarama says he wants to change the electoral system in the ethnically divided nation before holding a ballot. Under the present system, people in some constituencies can only vote for candidates from their ethnic community.

The 944,000-strong population is made up of 57 percent indigenous Fijians and 38 percent ethnic Indians, according to U.S. government data. Three of the nation’s four coups in the past 22 years were sparked by ethnic tensions.

In the latest crackdown on freedom of speech, the government banned Fijian Methodists from holding their annual conference, saying it was too political and might encourage anti-government sentiment.

The Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group will meet in London July 31, according to a statement. The Commonwealth is largely composed of countries with historic links to Britain and includes Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

For more information, please see:
Associated Press – Fiji faces possible suspension from Commonwealth – 30 July 2009

Associated Press – President of military-led Fiji plans to step down – 29 July 2009

Bloomberg –  Commonwealth to Consider Suspending Fiji Over Election Delay – 29 July 2009

The New Zealand Herald – Fiji may face full suspension – 29 July 2009

Commonwealth Gives Fiji September 1 Deadline

By Angela Marie Watkins
Impunity Watch Reporter, Oceania

SUVA, Fiji – The Commonwealth will suspend Fiji on September 1 unless the South Pacific island nation re-activates a multi-party political forum intended to pave the way for a credible national election by October 2010.

After a seven-hour meeting, ministers agreed that Fiji must commit by September 1 to holding elections by October next year or face full suspension from the Commonwealth. “The group noted that Fiji’s situation with regard to fundamental Commonwealth values had deteriorated strikingly since March,” the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group said in a statement.

In March, the Commonwealth gave Fiji a six-month deadline to restore democracy, three years after military leader Bainimarama overthrew the elected government.

If a country is fully suspended, it loses access to Commonwealth advice and technical assistance. Commonwealth member states are encouraged to take further steps such as limiting government-to-government contacts. Full suspension from the Commonwealth would also mean Fiji athletes would not be able to compete in the Commonwealth Games next year.

Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully, who represented New Zealand at the meeting, said he was not optimistic that the new deadline would bring about a change of heart for the Fiji regime. “The economic situation in Fiji has been deteriorating. There’s got to be a point where the regime decides it’s time to re-engage with the international community and accept some help. I hope this is the time but I’m not holding my breath,” McCully said.

Bainimarama has already said that the Commonwealth could go ahead if it wanted to suspend Fiji.

The Commonwealth groups 53 countries, mainly former British colonies. Fiji is already suspended from its meetings and the Commonwealth threatened in March to fully suspend Fiji at a September ministerial meeting if it did not make progress in restoring democracy.

Fiji was suspended from the Pacific Islands Forum last May.

For more information, please see:

Radio New Zealand International – CMAG gives Fiji till September to restore democracy or face full suspension – 31 July 2009

Radio New Zealand International – NZ’s foreign minister says Commonwealth has sent Fiji a clear message – 31 July 2009

New Zealand Herald – ‘Clear ultimation’ given to Fiji – 1 August 2009

Reuters Canada – Commonwealth sets September 1 ultimatum for Fiji – 31 July 2009