Water Consumption Continues to be Inequitable in the Palestinian Territories

By Meredith Lee-Clark
Impunity Watch Reporter, Middle East

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip – “We only get running water a few hours each day,” says Aziz Harbi, a Palestinian Authority security officer who lives with his family in the Jabaliya refugee camp in the Gaza Strip.  “The water is not drinkable.  We use it for cleaning and washing.  But it is dirty.  After a shower, the skin is irritated, and my children often come out with a rash.”

Since the Israeli military siege on Gaza in January 2009, only 7% of the available water supply meets the standards of the World Health Organization.  The World Bank reports that in 2005 the Gaza Strip began a “well-designed master plan for water and sanitation,” though less than 2% of the plan has been fully implemented, and since the end of the siege, progress has frozen.  In addition, the water filtration systems were damaged and the aquifer beneath the Gaza Strip dropped, saline water from the Mediterranean has flooded into the aquifer. 

A recent World Bank report found that Israel uses four times more water than the Palestinians from a vital West Bank aquifer.  Israelis use 240 cubic meters of water per person each year, compared with 125 cubic meters per person in the Gaza Strip and 75 cubic meters in the West Bank. Gidon Bromberg, the Israeli head of Friends of the Earth Middle East said there was a “clear failure” to meet the water needs of both Israelis and Palestinians, and that Israel was taking the “lion’s share.”

As severe as the water crisis is in Gaza, matters are more complicated in the West Bank.  According to several agreements, the mountain aquifer running the length of the West Bank is to be shared by Israel and the Palestinians, but the World Bank reports that the Palestinians have access to only a fifth of the water.  Palestinian water sources are often contaminated by pesticides and fertilizers from Israeli settlements.  Palestinians are also concerned by the impact of the Israeli separation barrier, which dips into the West Bank to include water sources, and which many Palestinians contend undermines Palestinians’ hope of a viable independent state.

For more information, please see:

The Guardian – Israelis Get Four-Fifths of Scarce West Bank Water, says World Bank – 27 May 2009

The Electronic Intifada – Israeli Army Contaminating Water Sources – 25 May 2009

The National – Water Fails to Flow Fairly in West Bank – 20 April 2009

Palestinian Hydrology Group – The Water and Sanitation – 12 January 2009 

Palestinian Monitor – Water – 18 December 2008

Concerns of Witch Hunt in the Uighur Riots Investigation

By Hyo-Jin Paik
Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia

URUMQI, China– Human Rights Watch has expressed concern that the latest development in the Xinjinag region indicates that the Chinese government appears to have launched a widespread, politicized crackdown of Uighurs instead of conducting an impartial investigation.

Since the violence erupted on July 5, the Chinese authorities have deployed at least 20,000 troops around Xinjiang, and the national and regional officials have stated that death penalty will be imposed on protesters who committed the violence.

However, Sophie Richardson of Human Rights Watch said, “The government has promised a thorough investigation into the violence but has so far presented a skewed and incomplete picture of the unrest.  This raises serious doubts about its commitment to investigating all aspects of the violence.”

Uighurs protest Uighurs protest in Urumqi (Source: AP)

For example, the official death toll showed that out of 184 people who died, 137 were Han Chinese and only 4 were Uighurs.  However, one Uighur man in Urumqi said, “I’ve heard that more than 100 Uighurs have died but nobody wants to talk about it in public.”  Further, Rebiya Kadeer, Uighur leader who is in exile in the U.S. and being blamed by the Chinese leaders for masterminding the riots, also stated that she believes about 500 Uighurs have died.

There are also reports that the government and media’s reports of the violence focused on instances that were attacks on the Han Chinese.  The government has not released any accounts of violence against Uighurs, and it is unclear as to what extent the security forces actually tried to break up the riots.  Furthermore, there is concern over the whereabouts of the detainees since the Chinese government has not notified the family members.  Many Uighurs who are free are living in fear that they may be arrested for any acts of dissent.

Richardson added, “If [Chinese government is] serious about their stated commitment to justice, the coming days should see the first steps toward credible investigation.  But much of the rest of the rhetoric undermines that goal, and instead suggests a witch hunt.”

For more information, please see:

BBC – Most of Xinjiang dead ‘Chinese’ – 11 July 2009

Human Rights Watch – China: Security Build-Up Foreshadows Large-Scale Crackdown – 10 July 2009

MSNBC – Muslim women lead protests in China – 10 July 2009

Myanmar Orphans Flee to Thailand

By Alishba I. Kassim
Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia

THAI SONG YANG, Thailand – A sudden offensive against ethnic Karen rebels by Myanmar’s military junta has led to a mass exodus of refugees from Myanmar. The six-decade long conflict between the Christian Karen and the mainly-Buddhist Myanmar’s junta continues to escalate.

Thailand is already home to 135,000 refugees, yet more refugees and orphans continue to arrive. Just weeks ago a group of 96 orphans fled their children’s home in Myanmar to the sound of mortal shells, AFP reports.

One such orphanage is run by Tasanee Keereepraneed, who watches over children from Myanmar tending to toddlers not much younger than themselves. Tasanee has readily taken in orphans and displaced families from one of the world’s longest conflicts. “The children look after each other and take care of themselves. The older ones teach the younger ones…They have to grow up very quickly,” said Tasanee, speaking about the orphans. These children idly spend their time since the resources available to them are meager at best, “They do not have a school, they do not have a place to stay because they had to run from the attacks,” said Tasanee.

Many elderly couples have been forced to flee the fighting and seek refuge in Thailand’s makeshift camps, some after having walked long distances without food and hardly any water. Those left behind are at risk of suffering at the hands of the rebels and as well as the military. In early June local aid groups reported the rape of teenage and pregnant women by government troops.

History makes no secret of hiding that war brings out ugliness in everyone.

 For more information, please see:

AFP – Myanmar Orhaps Flee to Uncertain Refuge in Thailand – July 9, 2009  

AP – Myanmar Refugee Numbers Swell in Thailand – July 6, 2009   

Pakistan Bombing Challenges Aid Distribution

By Alishba I. Kassim
Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – The ongoing battle between Pakistan’s forces and the Taliban continues to challenge aid distribution to Pakistan’s growing refugee crisis. As many as 18 people were killed on Tuesday night when alleged Taliban forces detonated a bomb at a luxury hotel in Pakistan.

The Pearl Continental Hotel, the target of Tuesday’s attack, was housing nearly 30 members of the United Nations staff when the bomber hit it. The bombing disrupted aid operations immediately an resulted in a one-day suspension of food distribution efforts. It also prompted several United Nations agencies to move most of their international staff to Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad.

Despite reports indicating alarm, the emergency coordinator for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Kilian Kleinschmidt, said “It’s a reshaping of operations, it’s not a reduction. We will not abandon the more than two million people. That’s very clear.”

Among the relocated staff members are also several World Food Program employees who have been brought on board to help handle the influx of Pakistani refugees from the North. Mr. Paul Risley, spokesman for the World Food Program said, “This is a very specific targeting of the humanitarian effort. It was a tragedy, but it won’t stop the U.N.’s work.” Two World Food Program employees were wounded seriously in the attack, but more are expected to arrive soon.

The United Nations High Commissioner, Antonio Gutierrez, in a joint statement with Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, condemned the attack, saying, “Humanitarian workers around the world are coming under increasing attack, and it is the poor, the uprooted and the vulnerable who will suffer the most by their loss.”

Needless to say, the refugees’ loss is one that cannot be quantified.

For more information, please see:

NY Times Bombing Challenges Aid DistributionJune 10, 2009

United Press International – Pakistan Hotel Bombing – June 10, 2009

Reuters – UNHCR Mourns Loss of Staff Member – June 10, 2009

Hamas Leader Advocating Peace in Cairo

By Ann Flower Seyse
Impunity Watch Reporter, Middle East

CAIRO, Egypt– Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal spoke in Egypt on Tuesday, giving conditions on which the peace process between Israel and Palestine can succeed after a conference with Egyptian intelligence chief Omar Suleiman.  Meshaal stressed the need for disputes between factions to cease, specifically, the security forces of Fatah need to stop their raids against Hamas in the West Bank. Additionally, immediate action to create and implement a two state solution must be taken.

Exiled Meshaal resides in Damascus in  Syria. Meshaal referred to conflicts on the West Bank,  as the biggest hurdle in the peace process for Israel and Palestine. He cited last week’s violent attacks which killed nine Palestinians, four security officers of President Mahmoud Abbas and one civilian as an example of these conflicts.

Meshaal found the speech that President Obama gave in Cairo last week “encouraging.” However, Meshaal is concerned that these words need to be followed with action in the form of true continued pressure from the United States for an Israeli and Palestinian peace process, or there will not be any progress. Meshaal welcomes Obama’s contact with Hamas as the first American contact since President Carter.

Egypt is also putting the pressure on Hamas and Israel to come up with a viable two- state solution. Particularly, Egypt is putting the pressure on the different Palestinian factions, like Hamas and Fatah, to “bridge divisions” by July 7, so that the Palestinian state could hold elections in 2010.

Meshaal thinks that if the violence between Fatah and Hamas could stop then there would be a real chance for the peace process to succeed. Meshaal expressed his approval of a two- state solution that would use the 1967 borders to delineate the two states. He also expressed Hamas’s willingness to be involved in the peace process.

For more information, please see:

Al Jazeera – Hamas: Fatah Raids Disrupting Talks– 10 June 2009

BBC News- Hamas ‘Will Not Obstruct’ 1967 Borders Deal – 10 June 2009

Xinhua- Meshaal in Cairo to Defuse Tension Between Hamas-Fatah– 10 June 2009

Reuters- Raids Hamper Palestinian Reconciliation- Hamas – 9 June 2009

Voice of America- Hamas Leader Meshaal in Egypt for Reconciliation Talks– 9 June 2009