Human Rights Groups Say Tamils Still Undergo Torture in Sri Lanka

By Christine Khamis

Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia

 

COLUMBO, Sri Lanka –

International human rights groups Freedom from Torture and the International Truth and Justice Project have released reports indicating that Sri Lankan authorities continue to allow torture and other abuses against the Tamil people. Human rights abuses have continued despite President Maithripala Sirisena’s promises to address such abuses when he came into power last year.

Sri Lanka’s president, Maithripala Sirisena, who took power in 2015. (Photo courtesy of The Guardian)

Freedom from Torture and the International Truth and Justice Project (ITJP) have presented evidence of torture and sexual abuse of Tamil minority victims at the hands of Sri Lanka’s intelligence and military officials. There have been 27 separate cases of human rights abuses in the last 12 months, according to their reports. Freedom from Torture, a UK-based organization that provides medical aid to torture survivors, was involved in eight of those cases.

Freedom from Torture has reported that it has medical evidence of torture by Sri Lankan military and intelligence officials. The victims were all from the Tamil minority group. Two of the victims that Freedom from Torture helped said that they had undergone detention and torture in a notorious military camp in northern Sri Lanka. Others reported that they had been tortured in a jungle camp. Most of the victims that Freedom from Torture helped have scars from being branded. Most of them were also sexually abused.

The report from the ITJP, an organization based in South Africa, includes testimony of 20 survivors and evidence from medical reports which corroborated the survivors’ accounts of torture and other abuses. The report also indicates that forced abductions, a practice that was common under Sri Lanka’s previous government, may also still be occurring. The ITJP says that the Tamils continue to undergo repression and torture at the hands of Sri Lankan officials.

Sri Lankan officials have denied the allegations in the reports. Cabinet spokesman Rajitha Senaratne says that Sri Lanka’s Defense Ministry has no information on the torture allegations and that it will investigate the cases if the organizations send them the evidence. Brig Jayanath Jayweera, Sri Lanka’s Army Spokesman, also denied the allegations, saying that Sri Lankan media would have reported on any abductions and torture.

When Mr. Sirisena became president in January 2015, he pledged to introduce widespread reform and bring reconciliation among Sri Lankan communities by addressing human rights abuses.Sri Lanka has also been under much international pressure to address human rights violations.

In September, the United Nations called for a special war crimes court to address the crimes committed by both the Sri Lankan government and Tamil Tiger rebels during Sri Lanka’s civil war, which ended in 2009. So far, Sri Lankan’s government has launched a domestic inquiry into the alleged war crimes, with limited assistance from the international community.

Last month, Foreign Minister Mangala Samaraweera announced that Sri Lanka’s government had signed an international agreement banning abductions by the state and agreeing to the protection of human rights.

 

For more information, please see:

BBC News – Tamils ‘Still Tortured’ in Sri Lanka, Say Rights Groups – 7 January 2016

The Guardian – Sri Lanka Accused of Allowing Continuing Human Rights Abuses – 6 January 2016

The Sunday Times Sri Lanka – Lanka’s Torture Machine Continues in Peacetime – 6 January 2015

Sri Lankan Guardian – Torture Casts a Shadow Over Sirisena’s First Year as President of Sri Lanka – 6 January 2016

 

 

TJ | In Focus: UN Rights Chief Sees Hope amid Challenges in Fight against Impunity

In Focus

UN Human Rights Chief Sees Hope amid Challenges in Fight against Impunity

On December 8, ICTJ and the Center for Human Rights and Global Justice at New York University hosted UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein for the 8th Annual Emilio Mignone Lecture on Transitional Justice.

Read More…

Other News

ICTJ: Year in Review 2015

Highlights from ICTJ’s work and impact over the past year, reflections from our experts, with a special message from ICTJ President David Tolbert.

Read More…

Victims Know Best Which Reparations Programs Will Succeed

In this podcast, Cristián Correa, senior associate in ICTJ’s Reparative Justice program, discusses the importance of engaging victims in the reparations process in Côte d’Ivoire.

Read More…

Publications

Opening Up Remedies in Myanmar

This briefing paper calls on the soon-to-be-established NLD-led Burmese government to seriously consider taking steps to deal with Myanmar’s troubled past as a way to help end the cycle of violence and human rights violations in the conflict-torn country.

View Report

Education and Transitional Justice: Opportunities and Challenges for Peacebuilding

This report, part of a joint research project by ICTJ and UNICEF on the intersections of education, transitional justice, and peacebuilding, explores how a transitional justice framework can help to identify educational deficits relating to the logic of past conflict and/or repression and inform the reconstruction of the education sector.

View Report

More Publications

Killers of Bangladeshi Blogger Sentenced to Death

By Christine Khamis

Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia

 

DHAKA, Bangladesh –

Two Bangladeshi students, Faisal bin Nayem and Rezwanul Azad Rana, were sentenced to death last week for the murder of atheist blogger Ahmed Rajib Haider in 2013. Mr. Rana, who is believed to be the mastermind behind the attack on Mr. Haider, is currently on the run and was sentenced in absentia.

Mr. Haider was hacked to death with a machete while returning home from a public rally in 2013. Mr. Haider was known to be critical of the Islamist political party Jamaat-e-Islami in Bangladesh. He was also one of several bloggers who called for the execution of Islamist leaders who committed war crimes in the 1971 conflict leading to Bangladesh’s founding.

Mourners carry Mr. Haider’s coffin during his funeral in February 2013. (Photo courtesy of Al Jazeera)

Six others have received prison sentences for their involvement in Mr. Haider’s murder. Jasimuddin Rahmani, the head of Islamist extremist group Ansarullah Bangla Team, received a five year sentence. Ansarullah Bangla Team, which is a banned group in Bangladesh, has taken full responsibility for the killing of Mr. Haider.

The defendants’ defense lawyer, Mosharraf Hossain Kajal, plans on challenging the sentences in a higher court, stating that the prosecution failed to prove the allegations against his clients. Mahbubur Rahman, a state prosecutor, states that the evidence gathered helped to prove the charges against the accused beyond reasonable doubt. Mr. Rahman also plans on appealing the verdict because he expected at least five of the accused to receive the death penalty.

Four other atheist bloggers who spoke out about Islamic extremism in Bangladesh were also killed in 2015, along with a publisher. Bangladesh’s government has been criticized over the past year for failing to adequately protect writers and activists.

Anisul Huq, Bangladesh’s Law and Justice Minister, has stated that investigators are working to bring those responsible for attacks on other bloggers to justice. The convictions handed down in Mr. Haider’s case mark a positive step toward confronting the increasing violence toward bloggers in Bangladesh.

 

For more information, please see:

CNN – Bangladesh Court Hands Down Death Sentences for Blogger Killing – 1 January 2015

Time – Students Who Killed Atheist Bangladeshi Writer Sentenced to Death – 1 January 2015

Al Jazeera – Two Sentenced to Death for Murdering Bangladeshi Blogger – 31 December 2015

New York Times – 2 Sentenced to Death in Killing of Bangladeshi Activist in 2013 – 31 December 2015

Russia Lists U.S., NATO as National Security Threats

by Shelby Vcelka

Impunity Watch Desk Reporter, Europe

MOSCOW, Russia–

NATO and the United States are among those Russia sees as its greatest threats to national security, according to a paper released and signed by Russian President Vladimir Putin. He accuses the organization of practicing policies of containment, intensifying military activities of member nations, expanding the alliance, and moving military infrastructure closer to Russia’s borders. The paper itself was a reflection of Russia’s national security strategy, which had not been updated since 2009.

A new national security strategy released on New Years Eve by the Russian government lists both the United States and its NATO allies as threats. This is the latest in cooling relations between Russia and the West. (Photo courtesy of Huffington Post).

The document reflects diminishing relations between Russia and the West over the past two years. Tensions began to rise after Russia annexed Crimea and got involved in the war in eastern Ukraine. As retaliation, the West has imposed sanctions on both the Russian government and individuals aiding perceived Russian aggression.

Putin accuses the West and its allies of attempting to “maintain dominance in global affairs” leading to “political, economic, military, and informational pressure” on Russia. The paper also condemns the West for their stance on the conflict in Ukraine, stating, that it appeared the United States supported an “anti-constitutional coup d’etat in Ukraine.”

Reportedly, Putin has told his aides that he wants the West to admit that Russia has the right to intercede in its sphere of influence in Eastern Europe, without any condemnation or undue influence from NATO. He is also looking for ways to weaken the United States’ ties to Europe, and replace its influence with Russia. Through military interventions in both Syria and the Ukraine, Russia hopes to flex its military muscle and demonstrate that its needs must be met just as much as the U.S. and other Western countries.

The document repeats Russia’s criticism of the Arab Spring revolutions and other “color” revolutions in Eastern Europe, stating that the “practice of overthrowing legitimate political regimes is becoming more widespread, provoking domestic instability and conflicts.” Russia further criticizes the West by blaming the rise of the Islamic State on a “policy of double standards which some countries adhere to in the fight against terrorism.”

For more information, please see– 

BBC– Russia security paper designates Nato as threat— 31 December 2015

Financial Times– Putin names Nato among threats in new Russian security strategy— 2 January 2016

Huffington Post– Putin Lists U.S. As One Of The Threats To Russia’s National Security— 2 January 2016

Reuters– Putin names United States among threats in new Russian security strategy— 2 January 2016