Rights Groups Urge for Saudi Arabia to Cancel Death Penalty for Young Man

By Brittani Howell

Impunity Watch Reporter, The Middle East

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – France and experts from the United Nations, join rights groups in urging that Saudi Arabia cancel the execution of a young man because he was a minor when he was arrested. Ali Mohammed Baqir al-Nimr was sentenced to death in May for taking part in a protest three years ago.

Photo of Ali Mohammed Baqir al-Namir. (Photo Courtesty of The Huffington Post UK)

Al-Nimr could be executed, by beheading, and then crucified at any time. Crucifixion is a public display of the body after the execution to warn others not to commit the same crime. The execution is likely to happen at any times, as al-Nimr’s final appeal was rejected last week. His family does not even know when the execution is to occur because Saudi Arabia does not give the families notice.

When he was only 17 years old, al-Nimr was arrested for protesting in the Arab Spring protests in 2012. The protestors demanded equal rights and democracy for the province of Qatif. Al-Nimr was convicted for various charges including, attacking police with Molotov cocktails, being a member of a terrorist cell, incitement, encouraging sectarianism, breaking allegiance with the king, robbing a pharmacy, and rioting.

A source who is close to the al-Nimr family, spoke to CNN and stated that Ali was innocent of the charges. The source told CNN, “Ali’s young. He just went (to the demonstrations) with people from his school and chanted with the guys and took pictures.” The source claimed that al-Nimr’s sentence was only used as a means to seek “revenge against his uncle.” Ali al-Nimr’s uncle, a Shi’a cleric,  is also condemned to death for charges including, sedition, breaking allegiance with the ruler, and encouraging sectarianism.

The final appeal was heard in court without al-Nimr or his lawyer being present. Sadeeq al-Jabran, al-Nimr’s lawyer, tweeted on Tuesday, “We as a defense team have not been able to visit Ali al-Nimr at the detention center to prepare his defense.” Many rights groups allege that al-Nimr had not received a fair trial and may have been forced to sign a confession to the charges. It is also alleged that al-Nimr may have been tortured.

France, who rarely comments on Saudi Arabia’s death penalties because of the shear frequency, is “opposed to the death penalty in all cases and circumstances, we call for the execution to be called off,” stated the Foreign ministry spokesman, Romain Nadal.

Saudi Arabia is a signatory on the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, which prohibits capital punishments for individuals who commit crimes under the age of 18. Donald Campbell, spokesperson for the international human rights charity Reprieve, stated, “The international community – particularly Saudi Arabia’s closest allies, the UK and the U.S. – must stand with the French government and U.N. experts against this outrage, and call on Saudi authorities to halt this unjustified killing.”

A Saudi Ambassador, Faisal Trad, has recently been appointed to a consultative group for the U.N.’s Human Rights Council. A spokesperson for the Human Rights Council, told CNN, “Members of the Consultative Group are appointed by their regional groups” not the U.N. body and “these members serve in their personal capacity, not their national capacity.”

In August, a report published by Amnesty International alleged that 102 people had been executed in Saudi Arabia in the first half of 2015.

For more information, please see:

BBC – The young Saudi who Could be Executed at any Time – 23 September 2015

CNN – U.N., Rights Groups Call on Saudi Arabia to Spare Man From Beheading, Crucifixion – 23 September 2015

Reuters – France Urges Saudi Arabia to Cancel Death Penalty for Young Shi’ite – 23 September 2015

The New York Times – France Urges Saudi Arabia to Cancel Death Penalty for Young Shi’ite – 23 September 2015

The Huffington Post UK – Ali Mohammed al-Nimr Sentenced to Crucifixion in Saudi Arabia for Attending Pro-Democracy Protest– 22 September 2015

Venezuela & Colombia Reconcile, Work Towards Reopening Border

By Kaitlyn Degnan
Impunity Watch Reporter, South America

QUITO, Ecuador — After a month of tension, Venezuela and Colombia have reestablished diplomatic ties and have begun working towards reopening border crossings.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos engaged in five hours of discussion hosted by President Rafael Correra of Ecuador at the Presidential Palace in Quito. Correra along with President Tabare Vazquez of Uruguay mediated the meeting. Regional organizations UNASUR and CELAC also participated in the discussions.

From left to right: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, Uruguayan President Tabare Vazquez, Ecuadorian President Rafael Correra, and Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos following peace talks in Quito. (Photo courtesy of Reuters)

Following the talks, Correra read a joint statement issued by Santos and Maduro, which detailed a seven point statement of peace agreements, which included the reinstatement of their ambassadors, strengthening bilateral dialogue, an investigation of the border situation and to find a solution to the problems plaguing the border.

A follow-up meeting will be held on September 23rd.

The Venezuelan/Colombian border has been in a state of crisis since President Maduro implemented a state of emergency and closed border crossings in several regions about a month ago. Maduro blames smugglers operating across the border for an increase in crime and the worsening economy in Venezuela.

Tensions spiked last week when the Colombian government accused a Venezuelan fighter jet of flying into its airspace.

Problems regarding the border have existed for years, dating back to a series of diplomatic spats between the late Venezuelan socialist leader Hugo Chavez and former Colombian President Alvaro Uribe. The area, which is sparsely populated, is a hotbed of activity for smugglers and paramilitary groups.

As many as 20,000 Colombians living in Venezuela have been displaced as a result of what the United Nations calls a “critical humanitarian situation.”

 

For more information, please see:

Colombia Reports – Colombia and Venezuela restore diplomatic ties, but border remains closed – 21 September 2015

Reuters – Venezuela and Colombia agree to restore ambassadors after spat – 21 September 2015

TeleSur – Venezuela, Colombia Agree to Address Border Closure Dispute – 21 September 2015

BBC – Venezuela and Colombia to normalise ties after border row – 22 September 2015

Financial Times – Colombia and Venezuela ease tensions – 22 September 2015

Fox News Latino – After month-long border dispute, Colombia and Venezuela agree to redeploy ambassadors – 22 September 2015

Times – Colombia and Venezuela Agree to Normalize Relations After Border Dispute – 22 September 2015

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pakistani Court Postpones Execution of Paraplegic Inmate

By Christine Khamis

Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia

 

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan –

Pakistan’s Lahore High Court postponed the execution of paraplegic inmate Abdul Basit on Tuesday, about an hour before his hanging was scheduled to occur. The postponement came just a day after Pakistan’s Supreme Court rejected a plea to grant Mr. Basit an execution stay order. It is unclear how long the postponement will last.

Mr. Basit has been on death row since he was convicted of murder in 2009 and has maintained his innocence throughout his time in prison. Mr. Basit became paralyzed after he contracted tubercular meningitis in prison, according to Sara Belal, an attorney at legal aid group Justice Project Pakistan.

Mr. Basit’s paraplegic condition makes it impossible for him to stand. (Photo courtesy of CNN)

According to the postponement order, Mr. Basit cannot be hanged in compliance with Pakistani prison guidelines, which state that the prisoner must stand on the gallows. In order to follow prison guidelines, the rope used as a noose must be a length proportional to the height of the prisoner in order to ensure that the prisoner has an instant, more humane death. Because Mr. Basit is in a wheelchair, figuring out the proper length of the rope is difficult.

There is concern among human rights groups that the hanging could go badly—if the rope is not the correct length, there is a risk that Mr. Basit will be either decapitated or subjected to prolonged strangulation. Both decapitation and prolonged strangulation would breach Mr. Basit’s dignity. Because the breach of a prisoner’s dignity is protected by Pakistan’s constitution, a botched hanging would violate Mr. Basit’s fundamental rights.

Before the postponement, Amnesty International issued a statement on Monday calling for Pakistan to cancel the execution and to impose a moratorium on all other executions. In the statement, Sultana Noon, Amnesty’s Pakistan Researcher, stated that Pakistani authorities should grant reprieve to Mr. Basit instead of deliberating on the logistics of hanging a man in a wheelchair.

Both the Pakistani Supreme Court and Lahore High Court previously authorized Mr. Basit’s execution. Mr. Basit’s hanging was initially scheduled for last month, but was postponed. The hanging was then re-authorized despite the fact that Mr. Basit filed a mercy petition with the courts, which is still pending.

After imposing a seven yearlong moratorium on all executions, Pakistan reintroduced the death penalty in December 2014. According to the Pakistani government, it reintroduced the death penalty measure to combat terrorism after a Taliban attack on a Peshawar school in which 150 people, mostly children, were killed. However, most of the prisoners that have been executed since the moratorium ended did not have terrorism-related convictions.

There have been 239 hangings in 2015 since Pakistan lifted the moratorium on executions. Additionally, Pakistan has the largest number of death row prisoners worldwide, with more than 8,000 prisoners awaiting execution.

 

For more information, please see:

BBC – Abdul Basit: Pakistan Delays Hanging of Paraplegic Man – 22 September 2015

CNN – Pakistan Court Delays Paraplegic’s execution – 22 September 2015

Amnesty International – Pakistan: Halt Execution of Paralysed Man Due to Take Place Tomorrow – 21 September 2015

New York Times – Pakistan: Supreme Court Declines to Block Execution of Paraplegic Inmate – 21 September 2015

 

 

Croatia Closes Borders to Serbia, Balkans in Disarray as Refugees Stream In

by Shelby Vcelka

Impunity Watch Desk Reporter, Europe

ZAGREB, Croatia–

Thursday, Croatia closed 7 of its 8 borders to Serbia after more than 10,000 refugees attempted to cross over the weekend. The country has been overwhelmed by the arrival of refugees, failing to provide adequate transportation to migrants hoping to cross into Slovenia. Initially, Prime Minister Zoran Milanović said that the country was willing and able to help refugees reach northern Europe by providing safe passage. However, it quickly became clear to the Croatian government that they had underestimated the challenge they agreed to take on.

Refugees walk towards the Croatia-Serbia border, as the borders have been closed between the two countries. More than 2,000 refugees were left stranded in Croatia as a result of the border closings. (Photo courtesy of The Guardian.)

The shift of the flow of refugees through the Balkans has changed the dynamic of the refugee crisis in Europe, as it threatens to reopen old wounds and international mistrust. The migrants are traveling through the countries that once made up the country of Yugoslavia, which still harbors racial tensions in the region. These smaller countries, such as Croatia and Serbia, have small economies and weak welfare states, meaning they are more susceptible to reopening tensions. Those additional factors are making it more difficult for the Balkan region to respond to a crisis that wealthier countries have struggled to tackle.

The Balkan nations were initially very welcoming to the refugees, as they had received aid when the Yugoslav wars were occurring. However, these countries have struggled with building and maintaining a strong economy, leaving a majority of their populations in poverty. The governments of Croatia and other Balkans nations, upon realizing how many refugees wished to travel through, became reluctant to have an open border policy. “Countries across the region are poor, their institutions are not yet developed, and most states can barely deal with the daily problems of government, never mind a migration crisis,” said Sead Numanovic, from Avaz, a reputable Bosnian newspaper.

The situation in the Balkans is already so tense, Germany has had to declare Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia and Albania “safe nations” so refugees from those countries can be automatically denied. In addition to the hundreds of thousands of refugees coming from Syria, Iran, Afghanistan, and Iraq, many others are arriving in Germany from Serbia, Albania and Kosovo.

For more information, please see–

BBC–Migrant crisis: Croatia closes border crossings with Serbia— 18 September 2015

Budapest Business Journal–Hungary extends state of emergency as Croatia shuts borders— 18 September 2015

The Guardian–More than 2,000 refugees stranded at Croatian border town— 18 September 2015

New York Times–17,000 Migrants Stranded in Croatia by Border Crackdown— 18 September 2015

TIME–Croatia Closes Its Border Crossings With Serbia as Thousands of Refugees Enter the Country— 18 September 2015

Left-wing Syrzia Party Wins Greek Election

by Shelby Vcelka

Impunity Watch Desk Reporter, Europe

ATHENS, Greece–

Greek voters returned former Prime Minister Alexi Tsipras, leader of the left-wing Syriza party, to the head of the Greek government after a strong win by the party on Sunday morning. The leader of the conservative New Democratic Party conceded defeat, congratulating Tsipras on the win. Early exiting polls showed that while the Syriza party did not win outright, a coalition government with the Independent Greeks party would create a slim majority.

Newly re-elected Prime Minister Alexi Tsipras greets supporters at a party after his win is announced. (Photo courtesy of BBC.)

However, any elation felt over the win has been eclipsed by the harsh reality of the Greek economic crisis. Opinion polls before Sunday’s election showed that millions of Greek voters were unsure who to vote for, due to the country’s economic collapse. Although Tsipras won on an anti-austerity ticket during the elections in January, he was forced to accept economic reforms in exchange for a 96 billion euro bailout from international creditors. Despite 61% of Greek citizens voting no to bailouts in July, Tsipras agreed to the bailouts to keep Greece in the Eurozone. The austerity measures that came with the new terms were seen as harsher than previous measures, and included new taxes, privatizations, and spending cuts.

Whatever coalition forms the new government, it is sure to become a headache for Tsipras, as many of the Syrzia party are angry about the bailouts. “This is a fragile party, although one third of the members broke off there are still radical elements left who can create problems for Tsipras,” said Marco Vicenzino, a Greece expert at the Global Strategy Project, an international risk consultancy. More than two dozen of the Syrzia party has broken off in defiance of the austerity measures, claiming that Tsipras has abandoned his principles.

The new Greek government will have only a couple of weeks to pass the legislation necessary to confirm to international creditors that Greek is serious about continuing with the bailouts. This government will also have to deal with the growing influx of migrants. Greece has been used as a main route into the European Union, with tens of thousands arriving by sea. Although many of these migrants leave quickly, the flow is becoming increasingly overwhelming to the already unsteady Greek government.

For more information, please see–

Al- Jazeera–Left-wing Syriza party wins Greek snap polls— 20 September 2015

BBC–Greece election: Conservative New Democracy admits defeat— 20 September 2015

Reuters–Greek voters return Tsipras to power with strong win— 20 September 2015

The Telegraph-Alexis Tsipras emerges as clear winner in shock election result— 20 September 2015