Migrants Claim Australia Paid Smugglers to Turn Back
By Samuel Miller
Impunity Watch Reporter, North America and Oceania
MELBOURNE, Australia — Earlier this week, migrants reported to United Nations workers they witnessed an Australian official hand cash to the crew of a people-smuggling boat to take passengers back to Indonesia. Sixty five migrants, including 54 from Sri Lanka, 10 from Bangladesh and one from Myanmar, gave their accounts to employees of the United Nations refugee agency in Indonesia, where they were brought ashore and placed in detention.

Babar Baloch, a spokesman for the United Nations refugee agency in Geneva, briefly detailed what had been relayed to him by local sources and migrants.
“They are telling us that they were intercepted by Australian officials at sea,” said Baloch. “They were taken on board an Australian customs boat for four days. They were then put on two blue boats and the crews were paid to take them back to Indonesia.”
The allegation of payments to people-smugglers has strained relations between Indonesia and Australia, which has a policy of turning back all migrants who arrive by boat.
Australia has refused to confirm or deny the payment; furthermore, Prime Minister Tony Abbott went on the defensive Friday when asked about the claim. Abbott refused to comment on operational matters, but said that the government “would stop the boats by hook or by crook.”
Prime Minister Abbott also went on to say, “We will do whatever is reasonably necessary to protect our country from people smuggling and from the effects of this evil and damaging trade that costs lives.”
Agus Barnas, spokesman for Indonesia’s coordinating ministry for political, legal and security affairs, said Abbott’s comments could be interpreted by Australian officials as endorsing bribery and might encourage people smuggling.
Indonesia could perhaps take action against Australia under the 2000 United Nations Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants by Land, Sea and Air; at this time, however, such a move is considered unlikely. Indonesia’s foreign minister, Retno Marsudi, has demanded a response from the Abbott administration and said she had taken up the issue with Australia’s ambassador to Jakarta.
Relations between Indonesia and Australia remain strained following the execution of two Australian Nationals part of the so-called Bali 9 group of drug smugglers in April. Australia recalled its ambassador from Jakarta following the incident.
On the domestic front, it is unclear whether such a policy would be in breach of Australian law. An Australian political party have written to the Australian Federal Police asking them to investigate what laws have been violated. Experts suggest the alleged policy would be a breach of the provisions of the Criminal Code outlawing people smuggling.
The allegations have arisen amid a humanitarian crisis in which Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and international aid organizations have been trying to manage the exodus of thousands of desperate, ill-treated migrants from Myanmar and Bangladesh.
Migrants escaping poverty or oppression typically use Indonesia as a transit point for the perilous journey in often barely seaworthy vessels to Australia.
For more information, please see:
Yahoo News — Migrants say they witnessed Australian payment to boat crew — 17 June 2015
BBC News — Migrant boat allegations cast cloud over Australia — 15 June 2015
CNN — Australia urged to come clean over claims it paid traffickers — 15 June 2015
NY Times — Asian Migrants Say Australia Paid Smugglers to Turn Back — 12 June 2015
Yahoo News — Indonesian official decries Australia PM’s asylum boat stance — 12 June 2015
Ceballos Ends Strike – Dozens More Continue
By Kaitlyn Degnan
Impunity Watch Reporter, South America
CARACAS, Venezuela — Daniel Ceballos, a jailed Venezuelan opposition leader, ended his hunger strike on June 11. He is the former mayor of San Cristobal.
Ceballos, along with fellow opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez have been engaging in hunger strikes for the release of imprisoned Venezuelan opposition members.
They are also demanding that the government set a date for parliamentary elections, which are due to be held this year.
Ceballos ended his strike after 20 days due to kidney pain. His weight had dropped to 57 kilos (125 pounds). It has not been confirmed whether Lopez has continued his strike.
Ceballos was arrested last year in response to his role in anti-government protests. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has accused Ceballos and Lopez of being responsible for 40 deaths during anti-government protests last year.
The announcement of the end of his strike was made by Patricia de Ceballos, who ran for (and won) her husband’s mayoral position after his arrest.
Following the announcement of the end of his strike, Ceballos was transferred to a new detention center.

About 74 Venezuelans, in the country and elsewhere throughout the world have joined Ceballos and Lopez in their protest. The protesters come from all walks of life, including five political prisoners, one congressman, two councilmen, a teacher, a state employee and over 50 youth activists.
Two councilmen from Venezuela in Rome participating in the protests met with Monseigneur Carlos Mendiola, a Vatican representative. Venezuelan exiles in New York City protested outside of the United Nations Headquarters and were granted an audience with UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon.
Those striking in solidarity has stated their main objective is to gain attention for the plight of the political dissidents from bodies like the United Nations and the Catholic Church. These protests have been somewhat successful – some world leaders have begun issuing statements directed at Maduro and Venezuela.
European Council President Donald Tusk expressed his disapproval over the opposition imprisonments in Venezuela. Although the Council’s official declaration discussed its opposition to US sanctions against Venezuela, Tusk called this a “compromise.” He indicated that the perceived human rights violations in Venezuela were a topic of conversation were a topic behind closed doors.
In an opinion piece in El País, Desmond Tutu, South-African Archbishop and Nobel Peace Prize laureate called on Maduro to release political prisoners. He also condemned human rights violations in the country.
Venezuela has yet to respond to any of the allegations or demands.
For more information, please see:
Buenos Aires Herald – Jailed former Venezuela mayor ends hunger strike – 11 June 2015
PanAm Post – Vatican, UN lend an ear to Venezuelan hunger strikers – 11 June 2015
Reuters – Jailed former mayor ends hunger strike in Venezuela – 11 June 2015
PanAm Post – Desmond Tutu slams Nicolas Maduro over human rights violations – 12 June 2015
PanAm Post – Venezuelan political prisoner Daniel Ceballos abandons hunger strike – 12 June 2015
Where is the PRIDE?
by Mridula Tirumalasetti
Impunity Watch Reporter, Middle East
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia—Several people were arrested in the Red Sea port city of Jeddah in the Harzat district after Saudi authorities raided two parties where many of the attendees were homosexuals. The raids happened simultaneously on June 13 around dawn.
Sources connected to the raids have told Gulf News that “The raids led to the arrest of several people, mainly gays, and netted locally produced alcoholic drinks and hasish…Those who were arrested were referred to a police station while those who fled the premises will be summoned since they were all identified.” It has also been reported that the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, which is made up of members of the religious police, recorded license plates of any and all cars that were parked close to each party before the parties were raided so that they were able to track down those who managed to escape.

Saudi Arabia’s strict interpretation of Islamic Shariah law makes homosexuality and even cross-dressing illegal. Those who engage in homosexual acts can receive a wide variety of harsh punishments. Such punishments include being stoned to death, imprisonment, chemical castration, flogging, and execution. For example, in November a man was sentenced to three years in prison and fined 100,000 Saudi riyals, which is approximately $26,000, for allegedly participating in “immoral acts.” Also in July, a man in Medina was sentenced to three years imprisonment and 450 lashes for “promoting the vice and practice of homosexuality.” Politicians in Saudi Arabia have even suggested prompt deportation for the LGBT community. As a result, the LGBT community in Saudi Arabia is fearful of religious police, and has become accustomed to keeping their private lives and sexual orientation a secret so that they will not be discovered and punished.
Other nations in the Gulf Cooperation Council, such as Kuwait, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates have imposed similar sanctions for homosexuality. For example, in October, Kuwaiti police arrested 23 cross-dressers and people who identified as homosexuals after they raided a “wild party.” Also, in 2013, a health official proposed that the LGBT community be banned from working anywhere in the Gulf Cooperation Council.
For more information, please visit:
International Business Times—‘Gay Parties’ Raided In Saudi Arabia; Religious Police Arrest Several People On Suspicion Of Homosexuality—15 June 2015
Gulf News—Saudi Arabia busts two gay parties—14 June 2015
albawaba—Have you no PRIDE?! Two ‘homosexual’ parties dismantled by Saudi police—15 June 2015
GayStarNews—Islamic religious police raid two gay parties in Saudi Arabia—15 June 2015
Eight Suspects in Malala Yousafzai Attack Acquitted
By Christine Khamis
Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan–
Pakistani officials disclosed last Friday that eight out of 10 men accused of conspiring in the attack of activist Malala Yousafzai have been acquitted and released.
Ms. Yousafzai was shot in the head and neck in October 2012 while traveling to school in the northwestern Swat Valley region of Pakistan. Prior to the shooting, Ms. Yousafzai continued to attend school despite the ongoing threat of fundamentalists opposed to the education of girls. She also had been anonymously blogging for the BBC about the realities of living in the Swat region and about the importance of education for girls.

Ms. Yousafzai survived the shooting and went on to become internationally known as an advocate for the education of girls. She was also the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in December.
Ms. Yousafzai is now 17 years old and lives in Birmingham, England with her family. She and her family are unable to return to Pakistan because of continuing threats from the Taliban.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for Ms. Yousafzai’s shooting. Pakistani officials believe that Pakistani Taliban leader Maulana Fazlullah is one of the main suspects behind the attack, along with Mr. Fazlullah’s spokesman and two other men. The suspects are believed to be hiding out in Afghanistan.
The 10 men accused of conspiring in Ms. Yousafzai’s shooting were put on trial at a military-run internment center in Swat, Pakistan. In April, a Pakistani prosecutor told journalists that all 10 men had confessed to the attack on Ms. Yousafzai and police stated that the men were convicted and sentenced to 25 years in prison.
On Friday, the court that tried the 10 men issued its written judgment. The judgment revealed that only two of the men had been convicted and sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Pakistan’s deputy police chief Azad Khan has stated that the eight men were released because there was not enough evidence to convict them. Mr. Khan also said that the secrecy surrounding the trial led to the mistaken reports claiming that all 10 men had been convicted. Public prosecutor Sayed Naeem, who stated in April that all 10 men had been convicted, said on Friday that reporters misquoted him at the time. Mr. Naeem also stated that he has already filed an appeal of the acquittal of the eight men.
The release of the eight men exemplifies the challenges that Pakistan’s judicial system faces. Courts in Pakistan often try Islamist militants in secret trials to maintain the safety of judges, police, and witnesses. There are poor evidentiary standards used in such trials as well as a well-documented practice of getting suspects to confess through the use of torture.
For more information, please see:
PBS – Men Who Planned Attack Against Malala Go Free in Pakistan – 6 June 2015
Associated Press – Pakistan Police Say 8 Men in Malala Attack Were Acquitted – 5 June 2015
CNN – Pakistan: 2 Convicted, 8 Acquitted in Connection to Malala Yousafzai Attack – 5 June 2015
New York Times – Pakistan Says Court Has Freed 8 of 10 Accused in Attack on Malala Yousafzai – 5 June 2015
Reuters – Pakistan Court Frees Eight Men Charged With Attack on Schoolgirl Malala – 5 June 2015