Iran Releases Americans in Exchange for the Release of Iranians

TEHRAN, Iran – On Saturday, Iran released four Iranian-Americans from prison in exchange for the release of seven Iranians from the United States prisons. The exchange has eased tensions between the two countries. Three of the four Americans left Tehran to Switzerland, via plane. Once they landed in Switzerland, the Americans left for a United States base in Germany for medical treatment.

The plane that carried the three Iranian-American former detainees landed in Geneva, Switzerland on the 17th of January 2016. (Photo Courtesy of Reuters)

President Obama attributed the end to the prisoner dispute to a cultivation of diplomacy. He stated, ” This is a good day because once again we are seeing what’s possible through strong American diplomacy.” A senior United States administration official, speaking anonymously due to the sensitive nature of the exchange stated that Iran, “understood this was a priority for us, and that we’d never give it up.” He continued, “we consistently said it was independent from  the nuclear negotiations but of great importance.”

Jason Rezaian, one of the released Americans, had been imprisoned since July 2014 on charges of espionage. Rezaian prior to imprisonment, was the Washington Post bureau chief in Tehran since 2012. Rezaian had been convicted in September, but had never heard anything regarding his punishment.

Washington Post’s publisher, Frederick J. Ryan Jr. stated, ” We couldn’t be happier to hear the news that Jason Rezaian has been released from Evin Prison.”

Saeed Abedini, another one of the released Americans, is a Christian pastor who had been imprisoned since July 2012 for organizing churches in the homes of Iranians. His wife, Naghmeh Abedini, had heard that Mr. Abedini had been moved from prison by Iranian intelligence police and told her children that their dad was coming home.

Amir Hekmati, a former United States Marine, had been imprisoned since his arrest in August 2011 when he was visiting his grandmother. Mr. Hekmati was alleged to be a spy and was imprisoned. Earlier this month, Mr. Hekmati had been permitted to leave prison for treatment of swollen lymph nodes. This had been the indication that Mr. Hekmati was likely to be released.

A fourth prisoner who was released, Nosratollah Khosravi-Roodsari, was not on the plane that left for Switzerland. A United States senior administration official to CNN that, “we can confirm that our detained U.S. citizens have been released and those that wished to depart Iran have left. We have no further information to share at this time and would ask everyone respect the privacy of these individuals and their families.”

The seven Iranian prisoners who were released had been indicted or imprisoned for sanction violations. In addition to the release of the seven Iranian prisoners, the United States rescinded international arrest warrants on 14 Iranians, also suspected of sanction violations.

The exchange also requires Iran to continue to cooperate with the United States’s search for a retired FBI agent, Robert A. Levinson, who has been missing in Iran since 2007. “We are happy for the other families,” stated Levinson’s family, “but once again, Bob Levinson has been left behind. We are devastated.”

A fifth American was also released on Saturday, but was not part of the prisoner exchange. Matthew Trevithick, had been detained for 40 days at Evin Prison, according to his family, after he had gone to Iran for language study in September. Mr. Trevithick’s family says he was a co-founder of a Turkey-based research center, SREO, which focuses on humanitarian issues,

American officials are continuing to work on freeing Siamak Namazi, a business consultant who worked for an oil-company based under the United Arab Emirates who had been detained in mid-October.

For more information, please see:

Associated Press – The Latest: Americans freed by Iran Arrive in Germany – 17 January 2016

BBC News – Jason Rezaian and Three Other US Prisoners Freed in Iran – 17 January 2016

CNN – Americans in Iran Prisons Swap Arrive in Germany – 17 January 2016

Reuters – U.S. Prisoners Leave Iran for U.S Base as Obama Hails Win for Diplomacy – 17 January 2016

The New York Times – Iran frees Americans, Including Jason Rezaian, in Prison Swap – 16 January 2016

Turkey Detained and Released Academics who Declared an End to Operations Against Kurds

By Brittani Howell

Impunity Watch Reporter, The Middle East

ANKARA, Turkey –  On Friday, Turkish authorities briefly detained 27 scholars who were among more than 1,100 academics to sign a petition urging for an end to the military campaign against the Kurdish militants. The scholars were reported to be released Friday evening, according to Turkish news reports.

President Erdogan denouncing the petitioners on Tuesday. (Photo Courtesy of The New York Times)

The scholars were accused of “making propaganda on behalf of a terrorist organization “and of insulting the state, the Turkish people, and authorities. The petition, “We Won’t Be a Party to This Crime,” was signed by more than 1,100 academics from 90 different Turkish universities.

The petition, which was published on Monday, urged “the state to abandon its deliberate massacre and deportation of Kurdish and other peoples in the region. We also demand the state to lift to curfew, punish those who are responsible for human rights violations, and compensate those citizens who have experienced material and psychological damage.”

The petition also stated that, ” the right to life, liberty, and security, and in particular the prohibition of torture and ill treatment protected by the constitution and international conventions have been violated.”

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated on Friday, “Just because they have titles such as professor, doctor in front of their name does not make them enlightened. These are dark people.” He continued, ” They are villain[s] and vile because those who side with the villain are villain[s] themselves.”

President Edorgan’s statement was made shortly after he visited a nearby site of suicide bomb attack’s on Tuesday. Tuesday’s attack which killed 10 German terrorists has been blamed on the Islamic State.

While no details are available regarding the investigation, the scholars could face one to five years in jail if convicted at a trial. The detention of the scholars has caused concern over freedom of expression, especially academic expression and intellectual debate.

Senior Turkey Researcher at Human Rights Watch, Emma Sinclair-Webb, stated, “The campaign against academics this week certainly targets a new group and has very serious consequences for academic freedom in Turkey, as well as free speech.” She continued, “There are concerns for the physical safety of some academics in provincial universities after being targeted in such a way.”

The Turkish military operations against Kurdish militants have displaced thousands and have caused more than 100 civilian casualties, according to human rights groups.

For more information, please see:

Al-Jazeera America – Turkey Detains Academics Who Denounced Military Operations Against Kurds – 15 January 2016

CNN – Turkey Detains at Least 18 Signers of Petition Opposing Kurdish Operation – 15 January 2016

Reuters – Turkey Detains 27 Academics Accused of Signing ‘Peace Declaration’ – 15 January 2016

The New York Times – Turkey Releases Detained Academics Who Signed Petition Defending Kurds – 15 January 2016

United States Imposes New Sanctions on Iran

By Brittani Howell

Impunity Watch Reporter, The Middle East

Tehran, Iran – On Sunday, the United States imposed new sanctions on 11 companies and individuals. The sanctions came in response to Iran’s precision – guided ballistic missile test, which violated a United Nations ban last October.

Members of the Iranian Parliament kiss after hearing that the sanctions had been lifted on Sunday. (Photo Courtesy of the New York Times)

The new sanctions came just less than 24 hours after the United States lifted the broader sanctions against Iran’s nuclear program. President Obama hopes that the new agreement will start a new chapter with Iran.

President Obama stated, ” We have a rare chance to pursue a new path, a different, better future that delivers progress for both our peoples and the wider world.” He continued, “That’s the opportunity before the Iranian people. We need to take advantage of that.”

The sanctions lifted Saturday now allow Iran to re-enter the oil market. In addition, Iranian ships will be allowed to enter and leave foreign ports and Iranians will be able to access the global financial markets. The United States State Department has also agreed to release $400 million and $1.3 billion in interest in funds from Iran that had been frozen by the United States. The funds were to be used by Iran for U.S military equipment prior to Iran’s revolution in 1979.

On Sunday, after American detainees had been released from Iran, President Obama announced that the “United States is imposing sanctions on individuals and companies working to advance Iran’s ballistic missile program. And we are going to be vigilant about it. We’re not going to waver in the defense of our security or that of our allies and partners.”

The United States Treasury Department has blacklisted the UAE-based Mabrooka Trading, owned by Hossein Pournaghshband, because it aided Iran to produce carbon fiber for the ballistic missile program. The sanctions bar financial institutions and companies from dealing with those on the blacklist.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani stated on Sunday that since the sanctions were lifted Saturday, the door had been opened for foreign investments with other countries, including American companies. In regards to American company investments, President Rouhani stated, ” They can invest here anytime, but they have their own obstacles to do so.”

Countries in the Middle East fear Iran will grow more aggressive and will meddle in conflicts throughout the region. Israel and Sunni states fear that Iran will support anti-Israel militant groups, Syrian President Assad, and Shi’ite Houthi rebels.

In response to the lifted sanctions,  Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanayhu stated on Sunday that Israel, “will continue to monitor all of Iran’s international violations.” Prime Minister Netanyahu also stated that there will be sever sanctions for each violation.

For more information please see:

Associated Press – As Sanctions Are Lifted, Iranian Foes Fear the Worst – 17 January 2016

BBC News – Iran: US Imposes New Sanctions Over Missile Tests – 17 January 2016

Reuters – U.S. Imposes Ballistic Missile Sanctions on Iran After Prisoners Release – 17 January 2016

The New York Times – U.S. Imposes New Sanctions Over Iran Missile Tests – 17 January 2016

Taiwan Elects First Female President in its History

By Christine Khamis

Impunity Watch Reporter, Asia

 

TAIPEI, Taiwan –

Taiwan elected Tsai Ing-wen as its new president on Saturday, giving her Democratic Progressive Party greater control in its legislature. Ms. Tsai is the first woman in Taiwan’s history to win the presidential office and is now the most powerful female leader in Asia.

Ms. Tsai after winning Taiwan’s presidential election. (Photo Courtesy of The New York Times)

Ms. Tsai ran against Eric Chu, party secretary of the previously governing Kuomintang party, as well as a third-party candidate, James Soong. According to Taiwan’s Central Election Commission, 56% of the vote went to Ms. Tsai, while 31% of the vote went to Mr. Chu.

Economic issues were at the forefront of the election due to Taiwan’s stagnant economy. Ms. Tsai has spoken of strengthening regional industry and manufacturing as well as strengthening Taiwan’s international trade relationships during her presidency. The DPP will also work to improve education and tourism in Taiwan.

Ms. Tsai is only the second president in Taiwan’s history who does not belong to the Kuomintang party (KMT). The other president belonging to the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), Chen Shui-bian, held office from 2000-2008.

Taiwan was an authoritarian state under the KMT’s rule until the late 1980s, when democratic reforms began to be implemented. If the DPP is able to win full control of Taiwan’s legislature, it is expected to initiate an investigation into abuses committed by the KMT during the party’s rule.

Taiwan has been independent from China since the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949. China views Taiwan as a breakaway province and has threatened to take Taiwan back by military force. Taiwan is not formally independent from China in the international arena, with only a few countries recognizing it as an independent nation.

The DPP supports Taiwan’s formal independence from China, while some leaders in the KMT have strived to create a closer relationship with China. Taiwan’s previous president, Ma Ying-jeou, formed more than 20 agreements with China during his term.

Ms. Tsai has stated that she wishes to continue positive relations with China while maintaining Taiwan’s democracy and independence. China is Taiwan’s primary trade partner and receives a significant amount of Taiwan’s exports. Ms. Tsai will face the challenge of balancing Taiwan’s economic interests with its independence during her term as president.

 

For more information, please see:

BBC – Tsai Ing-wen Elected Taiwan’s First Female President – 17 January 2016

The Guardian – Taiwan Elects First Female President – 16 January 2016

The New York Times – Tsai Ing-wen Elected President of Taiwan, First Woman to Hold Office – 16 January 2016

Time – Taiwan Elects Its First Female President – 16 January 2016

The Hague to Host Kosovo War Crimes Court

by Shelby Vcelka

Impunity Watch Desk Reporter, Europe

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands–

The Dutch government announced on Friday morning that a special court is being set up at The Hague to try war crimes committed during the 1999-2000 war in Kosovo. The conflict set in opposition the Serbian forces against Albanian rebels, with members of the guerrilla Kosovo Liberation Front (KLF) committing alleged atrocities against political opponents and ethnic minorities. The European Union has mandated the trials to facilitate the country’s integration within the EU system.

 

The Kosovo Relocated Specialist Judicial Institution will be hosted at The Hague, pictured above. (Photo courtesy of Balkans Insight).

Although the trials will be conducted in the Netherlands at The Hague, the court will actually be a national court of Kosovo, with international judges applying Kosovo’s criminal laws. It will retain its nature as a court that administers justice outside Kosovo, rather than becoming an international tribunal.

The court was moved outside the jurisdiction of Kosovo due to the sensitive nature of trying war crimes within Kosovo. Many of those who oppose the creation of the court see it as an “insult” to those who fought against Serbian national forces.

“Possible suspects may be seen by sections of Kosovan society as freedom fighters, and witnesses may feel threatened in Kosovo,” hence the reason for cases to be heard abroad. So we are pleased to be able to offer the court a home. It is important for justice to be done,” Dutch Foreign Minister Bert Koenders said.

An EU task force that investigated the alleged war crimes said there was sufficient evidence to prosecute many senior members of the KLA on charges for unlawful killings, abductions, illegal detention camps, sexual violence, and desecration of religious buildings.

The governments of both Kosovo and the Netherlands have agreed to the arrangements for the court, but the parliaments of each country have yet to approve the measures. The costs for the court will be paid through EU funding.

Kosovo Relocated Specialist Judicial Institution will join other war crimes courts in The Hague, including the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. The court is expected to begin operating later this year.

For more information, please see–

Balkan Insight– The Hague to Host New Kosovo War Court— 15 January 2016

BBC– Kosovo war crimes court to try KLA suspects in The Hague— 15 January 2016

Expatica– New court to open in The Hague to try Kosovo war crimes— 15 January 2016

Wall Street Journal– Netherlands to Host Kosovo War Crimes Court— 15 January 2016